Presented at 10:30am in Virtual A on Tuesday, November 10, 2020.#32192
- Susan Kelmer, Alternate Format Production Program Manager, University of Colorado Boulder
- Length of Session: 3-hr
- Format: Lab
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: Pre-conference
Alternate Format Production is a need on almost every university and college campus. This session will walk you through from request to delivery of alternate format materials for students with print disabilities, with a focus on the tools and methods you will need to do the job right.
There are always new tools and methods for producing alternate format, but all of them rest on a good base of tried-and-true tools, processes, and methods. If you don't have that base, it's going to be hard to produce and track quality alternate format materials for your student.
This day-long, hands-on session will walk you through alternate format production starting with the student's request and moving through how to acquire files, how to process files into the format the student needs, how to track your requests and processing, and how to distribute files to your student.
In addition to the learning and practice provided in the session, you will receive an electronic copy of my alternate format production manual, as well as sample forms that can be adapted for your own use.
This course is intended for beginner and intermediate alternate format producers.
- Consistent, quality production of alternate format is critical for your students.
- Knowing what tools to use for each step of the alternate format process is critical.
- Efficient, effective processes can make production easier, quicker, and with better quality output.
Accessible Educational Materials, Alternate Format, Assistive Technology, Uncategorized
Ms. Kelmer has been working with alternate format and accessible technology for nearly 20 years in a higher education environment. Currently she works at the University of Colorado Boulder in the Alternate Format Production and Access Center, where alternate format materials for students are produced. She also consults with other departments on campus and other campuses about alternate format and how to produce it. She has presented at multiple AHG conferences in the last seventeen years.
- Alternate Format Intensive Powerpoint
- Presentation Outline and Notes
- Admin Process Flow Chart
- Alternate Format Production Manual 07-15-2019 FOR SHARING EXTERNALLY
- Alternate Format Production Toolbox Recommendations
- Alternate Format Request Form Rev. 9-2015
- Oxford University Press Accessibility Request Form
- Production Process Flow Chart
- Publisher Contacts Effective 5.2020
- Sample - Alternate Format Consultation Form
- Sample - Alternate Format Tracking Spreadsheet
- Sample - Individual Articles request and tracking
- Sample Language for Email to Publishers
- Taylor and Francis Institutional VIP Agreement NEW 2.2020
- Cropping completed sample
- Extracting Completed Sample
- Page Numbering completed sample
- Cropping - Advocate Persuades (Partial Book)
- Extracting Chapters - Debating Democracy (Partial Book)
- Page Number Correction - Miroff Chapter 04
- Video - Correcting PDF page numbering to match document page numbering
- Video - Cropping PDF to remove Extraneous information
- Video - Using Adobe PDF to extract chapters from large textbook file
- Boellstorff Chapter 01
- Boellstorff Chapter 02
- Boellstorff Chapter 03
- Boellstorff Chapter 04
- Boellstorff Chapter 05
- Boellstorff Chapter 06
- Boellstorff Chapter 07
- Boellstorff Chapter 08
- Boellstorff Front Matter
- Boellstorff Notes
- Stewart Section 1.4 - Sample Completed
- Stewart Section 1.4 - Sample HTML
- Stewart Section 1.4 Exponential Functions - Copy
- MS Word - Practice Document 1 Completed
- MS Word - Practice Document 2 Completed
- MS Word - Practice Document 1 - headings, styles, page numbering, footnotes
- MS Word Practice Document 2 - formatting of images
- Video - Creating Footnotes using the Footnote Tool