Presented at 12:30pm in Virtual C on Friday, November 13, 2020.#32295
- Rachel Kruzel, Territory Sales Director, Texthelp
- Length of Session: 45 minutes
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: Pre-conference
Given the past popularity of this session and continued development in the AT and Accessibility fields, being aware of product and software updates is key for those in this field. The latest updates, tools, and software programs that support our field will be discussed with a focus on both major technology companies and newbies making an impact.
Assistive technology and accessibility developments and updates are occurring on a rolling basis. In order to stay relevant and support the needs of those working in these fields, software companies are constantly taking user requests and feedback into account. Companies also monitor the market and develop products that react to consumer needs and changing environments as we work to support those with disabilities and strive to make our world more accessible. However, staying abreast of these changes can be challenging for any professional. This session will compile some of the latest changes, updates, and developments in the assistive technology and accessibility fields. Both well known technology companies as well as newcomers to the field who are creating innovative products will be featured. Attendees will leave the session knowing the critical technology updates that have occurred in order to better support their students, users, institution, or workplace.
- Software integral to the fields of assistive technology and accessibility undergo rapid change each year.
- Professionals working in these fields must stay up to date with software developments, updates and changes.
- Professionals informed of software updates and new tools can better support their users and institutions.
Cognitive/Learning, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Psychological, Vision
Accessible Educational Materials, Alternate Format, Assistive Technology, Captioning/Transcription, Uncategorized
Rachel Kruzel, ATP, is the Territory Sales Director for Texthelp supporting Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri. She is a RESNA Certified Assistive Technology Professional. Rachel spent ten years working as an Assistive Technology Specialist in Disability Resource Offices at two colleges and universities in Minnesota. During her time in higher ed, she built and developed assistive technology programs at both schools, as well as coordinated the provision of accommodations. At both institutions, she helped to lead the campus’ digital accessibility initiatives and EIT Committee. Rachel is a national expert in the areas of assistive technology, digital accessibility, alternative format course materials, and accommodation provision around testing and notetaking. Rachel presents both regionally and nationally on these topics and others, as well as consults with students, parents, schools, and organizations.
- Trending Tech Tools - 2020 edition: What’s New, What’s Improved & What’s on the Horizon for AT & Accessibility Tools (pptx)
- AT and Accessibility Listservs and Hub Article Link (docx)
- Feb Update Trending Tech Tools Presentation Feb 2021_2.16.2021