Presented at 11:30am in Penrose 2 on Thursday, November 17, 2022.#36407
- Darrin Evans, Director Virtual Learning Community Professional Development Center, North Carolina Community College System
- Josheph Polizzotto, Accessibility Technologist, Wake Technical Community College
- Natosha Burgess-Rodriguez, Accessibility Technologist, Wake Technical Community College
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: General Conference
[old:} In this presentation we will share our process for designing and devoloping our Accessible Math Handbook. Participants will receive a copy of our handbook.
[new:] This presentation will explore the following tools: Visual Math Editor, MathPix, WordToEPUB, and MathType. We will give an overview of how and when to use these tools when creating accessible math content. In addition to going over the tools we will introduce participants to creating accessible math in the Blackboard, Moodle, and Canvas Learning Management Systems. We will also introduce a process to convert Equations from the Microsoft Equation Editor into accessible HTML. Participants will receive a copy of the handbook after the presentation.
We were looking for guides to create accessible digital math, and we found very few resources. We decided to create our own handbook highlighting the latest tools and techniques for creating accessible digital math content. We researched and consulted with accessibility experts from around the country to create this guide. This research and development will continue and this guide represents the most current tools to create screen reader accessible math.
- The process for creating accessible math content is improving.
- There are many freely available tools to create accesible math content.
- Using our handbook you will be able to improve the accessiblity of the math content at your institution.
Darrin Evans is an Accessibility Technologist and the Director of the North Carolina Virtual Learning Communities Professional Development Center. Darrin has a Master’s in Instructional Technology Darrin has over 15 years of experience in eLearning and accessibility of digital content. The Virtual Learning Community is a partnership between the 58 community colleges of the North Carolina Community College System and Wake Technical Community College. Darrin enjoys technology and is always looking for ways to make digital content more accessible to all learners. In his spare time he is a very slow marathon swimmer.
This is the slide deck for the presentation on the Accessible Math Roadmap.
This is the VLC Accessible Math Guide.