Scheduled at 4:00pm in Waverly on Thursday, November 16 (2017).#9244
- Jonathan Avila, Chief Accessibility Officer, Level Access
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: General Conference
This presentation outlines how to navigate the planning and implementation of a web accessibility initiative at a large, public institution where a diverse and decentralized web landscape offers challenges for implementing accessibility evaluation, reporting, and training approaches.
Many educational clients have partnered with Level Access to assess the accessibility of their digital assets and provide the tools, training and guidance to achieve and maintain compliance with WCAG 2.0 Level AA and the Section 508 Refresh requirements. To support our educational clients’ goals of self-sufficiency in managing and maintaining accessibility internally over the longer term, Level Access develops a comprehensive three-year strategy that will define the educational client’s organization and governance structure. Level Access will share details of two products that assist higher education institutions in gathering the data necessary to develop a strategy for retrofitting their websites and applications for accessibility: Access Discovery and Access Blueprint.
- Level Access will share with you their innovative approach to jump starting a digital accessibility program at your institution.
- Level Access will help you understand how important building a risk and prioritization model specific to your institution is in helping to determine the relative priority of remediation with specific systems.
- Level Access will help you understand how to build a detailed implementation plan for rolling out the policy and standards across your institution’s operations.
Cognitive/Learning, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Mobility
Administrative/Campus Policy, Assistive Technology, Including Accessibility in Curriculum, Uncategorized, Web/Media Access
With 20 years of experience in digital accessibility and his own personal experience as a person with a visual impairment, Jonathan brings unparalleled industry knowledge and a unique perspective to access solutions for technology with an extensive knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2), Section 508, and other accessibility standards and guidelines for the web, software, mobile technology, and hardware. He actively works with major industry development platform and assistive technology vendors, regulatory agencies and public-sector organizations to consistently update understanding of the proper level of accessibility for clients. Sought out as a thought leader in the industry, Jonathan has developed training for Federal agencies, presents webinars throughout the year on a variety of digital accessibility topics, speaks at conferences and other industry events, and is a regular contributor to the Level Access blog.