Presented at 2:00pm in Virtual Room 1 on Thursday, November 18, 2021.#34217
- RaLynn McGuire, Lead Accessibility/UDL Specialist, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Vanessa Garza, Learning Experience Accessibility Specialist, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: General Conference
Can a university shift from a stand-alone accommodation model to a proactive approach to accessibility? This presentation will focus on the journey of creating the role of accessibility specialist, increasing campus-wide partnerships and visibility, gaining support for new initiatives, and creating an accessibility policy.
Universities are struggling to find a way to address issues related to the digital accessibility of online course content. This presentation will examine the increased accessibility efforts at the University of Texas at San Antonio over the last 3 years and provide a look at our future plans. The presenters will discuss the university’s evolution to date, detailing a shift from a stand-alone accommodation model to a proactive approach to accessibility utilizing the Universal Design for Learning framework to create a more inclusive learning environment.
- History of our university’s approach to accessibility.
- Identification of areas of impact and gaps in current roles/resources.
- Creating partnerships to increase awareness, create policies, and creating a roadmap for the future.
RaLynn started her career as a classroom teacher. Years ago she transitioned to working in the field of accessibility in higher education in varying capacities such as training users, performing UX accessibility testing, training and supporting faculty as they create accessible content, and promoting a culture of accessibility and inclusion.
Vanessa worked as an educator, developer, and instruction designer before developing a passion for creating accessible content in higher education. Vanessa currently focuses on training and supporting faculty to create accessible content and promoting a culture of inclusive education.
- Finding Our Place-AHG 2021 PPT
PowerPoint slides for Finding Our Place presentation for AHG 2021