Presented at 2:15pm in Plaza Court 3 on Wednesday, November 17, 2021.#34406
- Michael Johnson, Director, Content Partnerships, Benetech
- Anaya Jones, , Southern New Hampshire University
- Rob Smith, Product Platform Manager, Accessibility, EBSCO Information Services
- Jonathn McGlone, Front End Developer and UI Designer, Michigan Publishing
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Panel
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: General Conference
There is great progress being made with regard to accessible content being made available on campus via the library. However, there is still a great deal to be done. This session celebrates the successes and points our areas for improvement.
Making digital content available has been part of the library mission for many years now. Sadly, ensuring that digital content is accessible to patrons with print disabilities has not received enough attention.
This session will cover how publishers can create Born Accessible content. How vendors can and should display metadata for accessible content. How librarians can use accessibilities features as part of their acquisition plans and, finally, how all of that comes together for real on campus to help drive student success.
This session will also cover the librarians role in "working backwards" along the supply chain to ensure that publishers, wholesalers, and professors understand the need for Born Accessible Content.
- Libraries play a key role in content acquisition on campus and they have real impact for a11y
- Without pressure on publishers from librarians little progress will be made for increasing a11y availability
- Libraries are key information hub on campus. They can lead the way on accessible content policies
All Areas, Vision
Accessible Course Design, Accessible Educational Materials, Administrative/Campus Policy, Assistive Technology, EPUB Track, Faculty Development & Support, Uncategorized
Michael Johnson is a seasoned executive with 40 years of experience in the technology, publishing, and education markets. He brings a wealth of expertise with particular strengths in areas P&L performance, Strategic Planning, and integrating technology into business planning. Michael has an abundance of experience in helping businesses use technology to be more effective.
Michael is the Director of Content Partnerships at Benetech. In this role he works directly with publishers, conversion houses, technology platforms, and educational institutions to help them understand and implement processes that allow for fully accessible content to get from authors all the way through to the end reader.
Michael has a long time relationship to standards having sat on several ISO, NISO, BISG, and MARC standards committees throughout his career. He has a deep background in the creation and distribution of content. After18 years at Follett he fully understands the college, k-12, and library markets.