- George Joeckel, Web Accessibility Specialist, Utah State University / WebAIM
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: General Conference
Participants will receive an overview of best practices for creating accessible online courses delivered through a learning management system. Participants will also review some accessibility principles, and how WebAIM addressed specific challenges when developing an online course for creating accessible documents.
When our team at WebAIM set out to build an online course for creating accessible documents in Word & PowerPoint, a significant percentage of our effort was dedicated to optimizing the accessibility of the course itself. To one degree or another, all subject matter experts, designers and developers face limitations related to accessibility within the resources they have available to build an online course. Without the ability to make pragmatic decisions within the constraints of these resources, an online course would never be launched. This presentation will focus on best practices for creating online courses delivered through a learning management system, as well as some of the principles our team used to address the issues we encountered.
- All online course creators face limitations related to accessibility within their available resources.
- Best practices for creating an accessible online course are an important resource.
- Accessibility principles can inform pragmatic decisions within the constraints of available resources.
Cognitive/Learning, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Psychological, Vision
Accessible Educational Materials, Assistive Technology, Faculty Instruction/Accessible Course Design, Uncategorized, Web/Media Access
George has been at Utah State University since 2008, and at WebAIM since 2015. He completed the Masters program in Instructional Psychology & Technology at Brigham Young University in 2007. His current emphases are enterprise-level website evaluations, creating accessible online courses, and creating accessible web documents. He facilitates WebAIM's online course––Accessible Documents: Word, PowerPoint, & Acrobat.