Presented at 2:15pm in Mattie Silks on Wednesday, November 16, 2022.#36188
- Judi Cook, Director, The College of New Jersey
- Meghan Sellet, Assistant Vice President for Accessibility, The College of New Jersey
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Interactive/Discussion
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: General Conference
In this presentation, we will provide insight into how our two divisions collaborated to build an accessibility and equity mindset on The College of New Jersey campus. We will detail how emergency plans evolved into more sustainable strategies for both serving students and supporting faculty.
During the Spring 2020 semester, the Covid-19 pandemic forced an abrupt switch to remote learning for colleges around the globe. At The College of NJ (TCNJ), a successful pivot required partnerships to deliver solutions that worked for ALL students—creating a digital environment that was accessible and equitable. One such partnership involved ARC (Accessibility Resource Center) and OID (Office of Instructional Design). In this presentation, we will provide insight into how our two divisions collaborated to build an accessibility and equity mindset on our campus. We will detail how emergency plans evolved into more sustainable strategies for both serving students and supporting faculty. As we re-imagined the Fall 2020 semester and beyond, we carve out new paths for moving forward and to ensure that accessibility and universal design and flexibility are at the forefront of course design and delivery.
- Promoting an accessibility and equity mindset is key to changing campus culture.
- Collaboration among divisions yields greater results and is most efficient.
- Universal Design + Individual Supports can operate in conjunction to support students and faculty.
Accessible Course Design, Administrative/Campus Policy, Faculty Development & Support, Uncategorized, Universal Design for Learning
Judi Puritz Cook, PhD directs The College of New Jersey's Office of Instructional Design in support of academic innovation, providing leadership and vision for developing and supporting best practices for teaching and learning with technology.
Meghan Sellet is the Assistant Vice President of Accessibility Resources at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and oversees ADA compliance and accessibility-related matters for students, faculty, staff, and guests.