Presented at 11:45am in Penrose 2 on Friday, November 18, 2022.#36097
- Bert McClain, Digital Documentation Accessibility Manager, Utah Valley University
- Kathy Griffin, Instructional Designer II, Utah Valley University
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: General Conference
Facing the challenge of making hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of variously formatted digital documents accessible to assistive technology (AT) can be an overwhelming undertaking. Creating a remediation team to accomplish this project can be just as challenging. In 2018, Utah Valley University’s Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) effectively created its own remediation team. Learn how they accomplished this task and the challenges they faced.
With the creation of the internet, businesses, governments entities, universities, and private industries are faced with the demands and challenges of creating accessible web content. Oftentimes, an accessibility team is created to meet this requirement. In 2018, Utah Valley University’s Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) took on the challenge of creating an accessibility document remediation team. We would like to share what we have learned with those of you looking to improve your accessibility offerings and provide successful remediation options for your business or institution. You will hear how it all began for us, where we are today, and everything we learned in between—including our successes and our failures. We will discuss the carefully researched accessibility tools we use in our remediation process and the training we provide to UVU’s faculty and staff. This 1-hour presentation will offer you some ideas on how to successfully build your own team in order to improve your accessible online presence.
Attendees will learn:
- Challenges in creating an accessibility team
- Successful training methods
- Tools used to create accessible documents
- Training for other employees on how to create accessible digital documents
Attendees will be encouraged to share their thoughts and ideas on this topic. The goal is to help create a more digitally inclusive world for everyone.
- Challenges faced when creating an accessibility team
- Successful training methods used to create accessible documents
- Tools used at Utah Valley University to create accessible documents
Accessible Course Design, Uncategorized
Degree in Computer Science and Engineering, Adobe PDF Accessibility Trainer, Member of International Association of Accessibility Professionals.
Graduated in Technology Teacher Education with a Master’s in Educational technology. Has worked as an Instructional Designer at Utah Valley University since Jan 2019 where she has learned the fascinating process of file remediation. Strongly believes it is worth knowing HOW to create accessible files at the beginning of content development instead of waiting to fix it at the end!