Presented at 3:30pm in Penrose 2 on Wednesday, November 16, 2022.#36240
- Jay Pope, Web Accessibility Specialist, Pope Tech
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: General Conference
Web accessibility can sometimes feel complicated or difficult, but it doesn't have to be. We will explore practical things anyone can do to significantly improve web accessibility. We will do a live demonstration on how to use WAVE. We will also discuss strategies for scaling single-page testing to testing thousands of pages across the portfolio of websites of higher education institutions.
Description: The purpose of the presentation is to help empower organizations to develop or refine their web accessibility testing framework. After working with hundreds of clients, we have a simple-to-use, easy-to-get-started-with framework for testing web accessibility.
Presentation Agenda: We begin by introducing the purpose of web accessibility, and then present the framework for single page testing using both automated testing tools (WAVE) and keyboard and screen reader testing strategies. We then expand this to introduce testing a handful of key target pages across an organization's websites. Finally, we expand on these strategies by covering how to leverage testing software to provide organization-wide testing across hundreds or even thousands of web pages across the higher education institutions' portfolios of websites.
Objectives: By the end of this presentation, learners will:
- Have increased confidence in their own/organization's ability to implement a successful web accessibility scanning and testing initiative.
- Have a simple-to-use, testing strategy for web accessibility that they can immediately begin to implement on any budget.
- Increase your knowledge and confidence in achieving your web accessibility goals.
- A live demonstration on how to use single-page automated testing tools (WAVE).
- Learn a testing framework to go from single page testing to testing your whole portfolio of websites.
Uncategorized, Web/Media Access
Jay Pope is a web accessibility specialist and president at Pope Tech. His mission is to help organizations improve web accessibility. Prior to working at Pope Tech, Jay was a front-end developer and web team lead at Utah State University.