- Kara Zirkle, Training and Compliance Manager, Essential Accessibility
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: General Conference
Presentation would discuss importance of areas such as Policy/Procedures, Testing, Procurement and Equal Access/Assistive Technology and how each one fits into a larger picture.
Many organizations are trying to incorporate accessibility into their infrastructure. During this time, the questions often asked are: Where do I focus my efforts?, How do I prioritize work?, How can make an accessible environment?, How can I accomplish everything? These are all great questions but its looking at the infrastructure and the overall goal the organization is wanting to meet that helps you find your missing piece of the puzzle. This presentation will break down these questions and provide best practices ideas and solutions.
- Discuss ideas to help organizations determine best prioritization methods for accessibility focus points.
- Learn about case studies EA has used with organizations on creating accessibility maturity models.
- Learn how organizations can identify weaknesses or points of need.
Administrative/Campus Policy, Assistive Technology, Information Resources, Information Technology, Legal, Other, Uncategorized, Web/Media Access
Ms. Zirkle has over 18 years’ experience working with individuals with disabilities and education/outreach. She is an advocate and educator with regard to providing technical support, awareness, and guidance on assistive technologies as well as the laws around overall accessibility and those that protect individuals with disabilities. Kara has worked in Government, Higher Education and Non-Profit. She has worked to ensure that Section 508 and WCAG compliance of electronic and information technology (E&IT) is accessible to everyone, regardless of disability.