Scheduled at 10:00am in Virtual D on Friday, November 13.#32324
- Patty Eaton, Director of Student Accessibility Services, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Janie Szabo, Instructional Designer, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Length of Session: 45 minutes
- Format: Interactive/Discussion
- Expertise Level: All Levels
- Type of session: Pre-conference
Join the collaborative team from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology as they lead an interactive discussion on supporting faculty with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) best practices. They will delve into examples of their faculty resources and how they proactively address accommodations within face-to-face and online environments.
Join the collaborative team from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology’s offices of Learning and Technology and Student Accessibility Services as they lead an interactive discussion on supporting faculty with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) best practices. They will delve into specific examples of how they proactively address accommodations within the face-to-face and online environments from their primarily undergraduate private STEM college. The specific examples from Rose-Hulman will include the use of their Learning Management System, Moodle, and multimedia system, Panopto, along with other specific hardware and software utilized to meet the needs of varying accommodations. Additionally, they will lead a discussion on faculty resources and training, continually emphasizing the integration of UDL.
- Universal Design for Learning: A brief review of the history of UDL and the Principles of UDL
- Proactive Instructional Design: Touching on the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 flexibility and barrier removal
- Collaborative and Practical Support for Faculty: Understanding accommodation strategies that can support all students.
Faculty Development & Support, Uncategorized
Patty Eaton is the Director of Student Accessibility Services at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. My department and our Learning and Technology department work hand in hand to help faculty understand UDL and accommodations to support students.
Mary Jane (Janie) Szabo is an Instructional Designer at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, where she is responsible for coordinating and providing training for the campus Learning Management System, Moodle, and multimedia system, Panopoto, along with other instructional technology. She collaborates daily with faculty on developing accessible face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses. Janie has a Masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction and is completing her dissertation for a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Educational Technology from Indiana State University. She has a passion for Universal Design for Learning (UDL).