Scheduled at 11:30am in Matchless on Wednesday, November 16.#36139
- Darrin Evans, Director Virtual Learning Community Professional Development Center, North Carolina Community College System
- Length of Session: 1-hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: General Conference
In this presentation we will demonstrate the advantages EPUB's have over PDF's for accessibility and ease of use.
The Virtual Learning Community was looking for an alternative to PDF's because of the expense and time required to remediate PDF's for accessibility. Our alternative had to meet 3 conditions: It had to fit into our existing workflow, or at the very least cause minimal adjustment to our workflow, the alternative had to be accessible, and the alternative had to be low to no cost. We discovered WordToEPUB and we are now tansitioning away from PDF's.
- PDF files are difficult and time consuming to make accessible.
- EPUB files have all the advantages of PDF files and are easier to make accessible.
- The free WordToEPUB application makes creating accessible EPUB's quick and easy.
Accessible Educational Materials, Alternate Format, EPUB Track, Uncategorized, Universal Design for Learning
Darrin Evans is an Accessibility Technologist and the Director of the North Carolina Virtual Learning Communities Professional Development Center. Darrin has a Master’s in Instructional Technology Darrin has over 15 years of experience in eLearning and accessibility of digital content. The Virtual Learning Community is a partnership between the 58 community colleges of the North Carolina Community College System and Wake Technical Community College. Darrin enjoys technology and is always looking for ways to make digital content more accessible to all learners. In his spare time he is a very slow marathon swimmer.