Scheduled at 10:30am in Virtual C on Monday, November 9.#32565
- Becky Gibson, Sr. Accessibility Strategist, Knowbility
- Emily Lewis, , Knowbility
- Length of Session: 3-hr
- Format: Interactive/Discussion
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: Pre-conference
Successful accessibility is more than just ensuring your website or admissions application conform to WCAG. It requires organizational investment in accessibility — from the top down. Knowbility will show you how to embed accessibility in your institution. Bring your own operational challenges to discuss, so we can collaboratively devise solutions.
Successful and effective accessibility requires an organizational investment — across all departments and from the top down. Discover what you need to embed accessibility in your educational institution and tie it to your organizational goals. Learn how accessibility benefits everyone, from students to staff to faculty to your community. Understand how to engage different parts of the organization to get the support that helps you establish policies, build a framework, and sustain over time. You’ll also learn:
- Why accessibility is important to your organization
- Find your accessibility champions and build internal support
- What are the differences between an accessibility statement and a policy
- How to assess your institution’s accessibility status
- How to build and integrate teams
- How to evaluate, measure, report, and repeat (maintain)
- How to integrate inclusive design into the general process (sustain)
- Embed accessibility into your organization
- Create a framework to develop and deploy accessibility
- Sustain accessibility over the long run
Administrative/Campus Policy, Other, Uncategorized
Becky Gibson is a recognized expert in the field of digital inclusion and enabling accessible solutions. Her extensive career as a Software Engineer and Accessibility Architect at IBM impacted products, customer strategy, and industry standards. She is passionate about making Web and mobile applications usable for people of all abilities.
She participated in the creation of W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG) and helped to develop and demonstrate the Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) specification. Becky shares her accessibility experience training and working with clients and as an invited speaker at conferences. She is thrilled to be working at Knowbility as a Sr. Accessibility Strategist evangelizing accessibility.
Emily Lewis is a front-end developer with a passion for inclusive design. A “standardista” at heart, Emily specializes in accessibility, semantics and user experience. Formerly the owner of a web services agency, she also specializes in digital project management.
With more than 20 years working in the industry, Emily believes education and community are vital to making the web more diverse, inclusive and accessible. To that end, she co-hosted the renowned web podcast CTRL+CLICK CAST and served as Managing Editor for Web Standards Sherpa. She also wrote Microformats Made Simple and contributed to HTML5 Cookbook.
Currently, she advocates for digital accessibility through writing, public speaking and training.
- Knowbility's Accessibility Master Class 11-8-20
- PDF-Knowbility's Accessibility Master Class 11-8-20
- Knowbility's Accessibility Master Class - Resources and Links - 11-8-20