Scheduled at 9:00am in Gov Square 11 on Tuesday, November 16.#34499
- Dax Castro, Accessible Document Specialist
- Length of Session: 5-6-hr
- Format: Bring-your-own Device Workshop: Computer or laptop with MS Office, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator
- Expertise Level: Intermediate
- Type of session: Pre-conference
Learn specific techniques for PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign that produce more robust user experiences for charts, graphs and Infographics. Discover new ways to present infographics beyond simple alt-text.
This presentation covers several methods for presenting more robust infographics. You will learn basic accessibility barriers that exist in presenting charts, graphs and infographics and approaches to mitigating each one. Attendees will learn the benefits and shortcomings of each design program (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, and InDesign) and how to choose the best program for the desired user experience. We will cover Adobe PDF remediation and testing methodologies for infographics using NVDA and JAWS and how those experiences can differ. Be prepared to expand your thought process on what it means to present an accessible infographic. Attendees will learn advanced techniques that capitalize on alt-text properties to develop processes for better user experiences for complex infographics.
- Alt-text alone may not be sufficient in providing the same user experience required for accessibility.
- Key information can be presented in a way that provides a robust AT experience.
- Understanding how to breakdown infographics into digestible pieces is key to creating robust infographics.
Accessible Course Design, Accessible Educational Materials, Alternate Format, Assistive Technology, Uncategorized
Dax is an Adobe Certified PDF Accessibility Trainer, Accessible Document Specialist and member of the International Association of Accessibility Professionals. He has more than 25 years experience creating digital content using InDesign, Acrobat and other creative software. Dax specializes in user-centered accessibility approaches that push the envelope of technology to produce more robust accessible documents that still meet Section 508, WCAG 2.0/2.1 and PDF/UA compliance.