Scheduled at 10:30am in Westminster II on Monday, November 13 (2017).#10442
- Terrill Thompson, Manager, IT Accessibility Team, University of Washington
- Gaeir Dietrich, , High Tech Center Training Unit
- Dawn Hunziker, IT Accessibility Consultant, University of Arizona
- Rob Eveleigh, Five College Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility Coordinator, Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges
- Heidi Scher, Associate Director, Assistive Technology, University of Arkansas
- Length of Session: 5-6 hr
- Format: Lecture
- Expertise Level: Beginner
- Type of session: Pre-conference
This two-day interactive workshop is designed for anyone involved with ensuring their institution's technology is accessible but feeling a bit overwhelmed by that responsibility. Topics to be covered will include laws and standards, assistive technology, alternate format conversion, web accessibility, and IT accessibility strategies.
This two-day pre-conference session is designed for anyone involved with ensuring their institution's technology is accessible but is feeling a bit overwhelmed by or uncertain about that responsibility. The session will explain technology-related accessibility issues in easy-to-understand ways. No question is too simple or too small! We will also bring attendees together to explore strategies and promising practices for addressing these issues campus-wide. Topics to be covered will include applicable laws and standards, assistive technology, alternate format conversion, web accessibility, and information technology accessibility.
- Participants will be able to explain how various accessibility laws and standards apply to their institution.
- Participants will be able to describe 3+ assistive technologies, alt format methods, & web a11y techniques
- Participants will leave with specific action items for addressing IT accessibility on their campuses.
Administrative/Campus Policy, Alternate Format, Assistive Technology, Legal, Uncategorized, Web/Media Access
Terrill Thompson is manager of the IT Accessibility Team at the University of Washington.
Gaeir is Director of the California Community Colleges High Tech Center Training Unit.
Dawn is IT Accessibility Consultant with the University of Arizona.
As an access technologist at the Five College Consortium, UMass Amherst, and Harvard University, Rob has provided expertise, technical direction, assessment, and implementation support to ensure technical compliance and functional accessibility of electronic and information technologies at a variety of private and public campuses. He has served as chair/lead of multiple accessibility committees and teams at the Five College Consortium and UMass Amherst, and as project manager of the UMass System IT Accessibility Program. In these roles, he has provided leadership to ensure that campuses build capacity to implement sustainable IT accessibility goals and strategies that address the accessibility of existing and emerging technologies to persons with disabilities while minimizing the compliance risk associated with the accelerated and dynamic IT accessibility case law landscape.
Heidi is Associate Director, Assistive Technology for University of Arkansas.